UPDATE: Responding to needs in Papua New Guinea and Fiji
ANNUAL HOPE APPEAL: SUPPORTING VULNERABLE COMMUNITIES IN PAPUA NEW GUINEA AND FIJI - June 2021
Dear Friends of HOPE worldwide,
Thank for your continued support and service! This year as the COVID pandemic has taken hold in many countries causing mass loss of life and financial distress.
This year, our annual fundraiser, HOPE SPA Region Appeal, will meet the needs of vulnerable communities in Papua New Guinea and Fiji. Both countries have been hit hard by the economic downturn resulting from the Coronavirus pandemic.
In Papua New Guinea the Government is struggling to adequately provide health and education services with the ever-increasing need in this sector resulting in continued high rates of illiteracy and poor health status. Of major concern is the Government’s financial difficulties in this pandemic period to sustain healthcare workers’ salaries for faith-based run clinics resulting in many clinics closing at a time where these services are a priority need for the sick. In addition, HOPE worldwide has a long-term plan of building a community centre.
In Fiji, the closure of international flights has led to mass unemployment and destitution due to the negative impact on the tourism industry. The health system in Fiji is also fragile and not equipped to handle any escalation in Coronavirus cases as well as having limited capacity to vaccinate the entire population.
Donations are Tax deductible and Funds will be used to support the following:
1. Primary Health care in Papua New Guinea- 4 HOPE clinics providing healthcare to poor communities. The clinics provide service for many vulnerable people, including those living with chronic diseases such as HIV, Diabetes and Tuberculosis.
2. Primary Education in Papua New Guinea- supporting the Mercy care school which provides primary education for students from a low socioeconomic background including students living with disability.
3. HOPE Community Centre- HOPE worldwide PNG has been collecting funds for a few years with the aim to build a Community Centre in Port Moresby. They are still a number of years away from achieving the required funds, but every year we are able to get a little closer. The centre will provide a permanent location for the HOPE PNG office (currently in a rented space), Classrooms to run education programs and a Hall to have Church and Community events.
4. Job creation in Fiji- partnering with businesses like Rosie’s (a major tourism company in Fiji) to train people, diversify businesses to create jobs, taking people out of poverty due to unemployment.
5. Food aid in Fiji- partnering with local supermarket to provide food aid for families living in poverty and unable to afford basic food to live.
The HOPE SPA Region Appeal will run through June 2021. You can donate here
For Past Updates: See members--reports.html
HOPE DAY OF GIVING
The HOPE Day of Giving is held annually to provide support to programs in the South Pacific through the partnership with the cooperating Churches of Christ . In 2019 two programs were supported: Early Childhood program and a Community Centre (building fund).
HOPE DAY OF GIVING DONATION
The HOPE Day of Giving raised over $30,000 in 2019! THANK YOU!
NEWS & EVENTS
Global Disaster Update: Corona Virus
HOPE VOLUNTEER CORPS